Sunday, October 25, 2009

Friday Night Outing

On Friday I my roommate and I were offered free tickets to hear the Lisbon Orchestra play. One of the french horn players goes to the church and often will share extra tickets with friends. It was a cloudy, rainy day at the end of a long week so my roommate Gina decided not to go. I haven't learned how to navigate my way to Lisbon by train and bus yet, so I said I was interested but would need help getting there. Before the afternoon was over I had a ride arranged with a clarinet player who is connected with school/church and lives nearby. At 5:10 I was to meet Esther, my ride, outside the school on the main road. Esther pulled up right on time and took me into Lisbon. Ironically she has a sister who lives in Rochester, NY - in Greece! We enjoyed getting to know one another on the ride in. I was there about an hour before the concert began at 7pm and had a chance to wander around the gardens outside the building before the concert began. My seat was in the 3rd row on the right hand side.

The concert was GREAT! The program had a variety of music starting with an 18 year old guest soloist playing a Prokofiev Piano Concerto. Followed by that was a soprano soloist singing 6 different Strauss songs. After the intermission the orchestra performed Pictures at an Exhibition by Mussorgsky and Ravel. After the concert Esther had plans to go to a cafe with a friend for a quick dinner. I felt like I was intruding, but she assured me that I was welcome. Once we got there some other orchestra friends also joined us. I met 4 violin players and another clarinet player. They were all very friendly and welcoming. We shared many laughs over a delicious dinner - a baked fish and rice dish!

It was a late night - I didn't get back till 11:30 but was glad I took the opportunity to do something spontaneous. It was also fun to meet some new people. I'm still getting used to the Portuguese greeting and goodbye - a kiss on each cheek. I was "kissed" by 4 guys Friday night! I made the mistake of putting out my hand to say goodbye and was reminded with a smile that in Portugal it's not a handshake! More adventures to come. This Thursday the teachers leave for a conference in Budapest, Hungary. I'll be sure to post some pictures and news about our trip when I can.

2 comments:

  1. In Peru, I had to get used to kissing all the women hello and goodbye. The hard part was when we were in high schools and there would be lines of kids waiting to kiss us and be kissed. We tried to get through it fast because our schedule was packed, but one time I forgot to check to see if the next person in line was a girl or guy...and I accidentally kissed the guy on the cheek! That got a lot of laughs, for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Karen, I loved reading about this adventure! I'm glad you're making the most of all these amazing opportunities.

    ReplyDelete