Saturday, February 6, 2010
Friday Faux Pas
Friday afternoon my students were taking their English test during the last period of the day. I was hoping that they'd be able to finish with enough time to get all the desks, chairs, and boards into my office before dismissal. About halfway through class an alarm went off. I noticed it, but then decided to ignore it thinking it was something out on the road (which is about 15 feet outside our classroom door). A few more seconds went past before one of my students said, "Miss Mapes, that's the fire alarm." Oh....I quickly told the students to get up and head outside. I grabbed my attendance book and headed for the door behind the students. I felt really embarrassed that I had "ignored" the fire alarm. I'd never heard it before and it wasn't very loud compared to the fire alarm at my previous school. Turns out that pastor wanted to have a surprise fire drill to see how quickly everyone could get out (it was a surprise alright!). Everyone was able to get out in less than 2 minutes. He congratulated everyone on the quick response and I just chuckled to myself! Despite the interruption my students finished their test and helped move everything before dismissal. Now I know what they fire alarm sounds like. If we have another drill I'll be prepared! :O)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Thanks for the laugh :)
ReplyDeleteCaleb says, "I know what a fire alarm sounds like, just come to my room with the door open when my mom is cooking." (we have a super sensitive smoke detector and an old stove.